Fudgy Cherry Brownies
No, you’re not daydreaming. It’s not just wishful thinking. It’s true: “Fudgy” and “Cherry” and “Brownies,” all rolled together into one blessed 9 x 13 pan. Can I just mention that this recipe contains 8 ounces of unsweetened chocolate? And a cup of chocolate chunks? Oh, and an entire jar of cherry jam.
When melting the chocolate and butter for this recipe, remember that those two things melt at different rates; whether you’re using the microwave or a double boiler, if you chop the chocolate and cube the butter, it will make your life a lot easier.
Don’t have a double boiler? Join the club! Fill a pan with no more than 1” of water–seriously, that’s all you need, unless you want to sit around all day waiting for it to boil–and bring it to a simmer. Place the butter and chocolate in a bowl that fits nicely atop the aforementioned pan, and set the bowl above the simmering water. Since chocolate scorches easily, this indirect heating method is the safest way to melt it.
The original recipe called to combine all of the jam with the brownie batter; however, I divided the jam and opted for the dollop-and-marble method, which results in heavenly pockets of unadulterated cherry goodness.
Between the cherry pockets and the dense, moist crumb… well, I hesitate to use the word “perfect,” but I certainly don’t have any complaints.
Fudgy Cherry Brownies
Slightly adapted from Stonewall Kitchen’s recipe
8 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 c. butter
1 1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
12-13 oz. jar of cherry jam
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chunks
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan; set aside.
2. In a double boiler or in the microwave, melt the butter and chocolate together.
3. In a large bowl, combine the chocolate mixture, sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and half of the cherry jam.
5. Stir in the chocolate chunks just until combined.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Dollop the remaining cherry jam on top of the brownie batter and use the back of a knife to gently marble into the batter.
7. Bake at 350º for 35 – 45 minutes or until the brownies just start to pull away from the sides of the pan.
8. Allow brownies to cool completely before serving.